Saturday, June 28, 2008


When I was a young mother, I had fabric and sewing supplies all over the house and would pull out my sewing machine and put it in the kitchen. I would have scraps and threads from one end of the house to the next. When I got alittle older and a home in Texas, I moved my sewing to the Laundry room, then to the foyer. Still fabric and material all over the house. Then when the boys started to leave home, I finally had the sewing room of my dreams (of course, I wanted shelving, cutting table...etc..but it worked). I was working so I could not enjoy the room as much as I wanted.

Now we have moved. I had a make shift sewing/bedroom. It worked, atleast everything was in one room at my finger tips.

Today, I am dismantling my sewing room. I have sons visiting and one staying. Once again I have material and supplies stored all over the house. It is amazing how much stuff I have collected and part of me is ashamed that I do have so much but any quilter/sewer will tell you that you can never have enough material. So....I have gone full circle. I don't mind, at least for the moment. It also reminded me of all the projects I have started and not completed. Once again, I tell myself, no more projects! No more projects! We will see how long that last.

Friday, June 27, 2008


I got this quilt off Ebay. It cost more to send it then what I actually paid for the quilt itself. Upon looking at it, it seems to be atleast 50 yrs or more old. It has the poka dots for the sashing, and on the back it looks like each piece was sewn to muslin. I need to quilt stippling for this quilt. I have found that some people will send to Samoa and some won't. I had to explain where Samoa was to one person and then find the shipping cost and then they agreed to send the item if I had the highest bid. This quilt cost me a total of 14.9l.

Thursday, June 12, 2008


Well, while I was visiting my mother, I had the opportunity to help organize her stash....sheweee, I think it took us 4 hours to organize the material. She had her two grandsons in there fixing the shelves. Believe me you, we all were tired that night.



This quilt was done by our mother's mother, Viola Zylks. Now, I am getting old, if any of you are reading this and I have made a mistake on who's quilt this is...let me know, but if my memory serves me right, I am right. I would put a picture on here of her as well...but all my pictures are in storage. If any of you have a picture of her and Aunt Mamie, send it to me or add it to their quilts.


If I had a picture, I would put Aunt Mamie's picture on here as well. She was our Fathers Aunt (James Thompson).


This quilt was done by Jeanette for our mother, I think it is called a "T" quilt.


This quilt was done my my mother (Faye) and it is for Anya.


I had the fun pleasure of being able to vist Beverly and moma and see all their quilts. Here are a few of Beverly's, these are the Walmart quilts. Didn't she do a great job!!!!

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Double Wedding Ring

This is the quilt my mother made for my wedding. Granny and Mom (Jeanette) quilted it. It is beautiful and we use it during the summer.

Monday, June 2, 2008


This is one of the last pieces of Sue's material that I have. I decided to make Betty Cotton's son Jase a quilt since I made their daughter one (see Dutch Doll).
Well....I had the great idea of stuffing the horses and the shoes. I made a backing for each, slit the backing and stuffed. Sounds easy? gets better. So then I add another backing, quilt around the horses and shoes, all in black so match the I quilted twice around each. Well...when I finished one horse, I just felt it looked terrible and was going to just throw it away but Teresa, the sister-in law, my best friend, said Betty would love it no matter what. I continue to quilt around each object, twice. Still frustrated because it is hard to quilt around the objects because of the batting. Once again, the thought of throwing it away came to mind. I was sorry that I would have to throw one of Sue's last remaining pieces of material away. My intentions were good. Vance walked by and said how much he loved it....I couldn't believe I perservered....besides I had already invested alot of time into it. So I am done looks horrible, there is alot of pinching in the material between the objects and fabric....WHAT TO DO? Just throw it away. Sorry again I threw it on the table and took a little nap...during this time the ideal came to mind to stipple the space inbetween the I did...I had some extra fabric, and tried to work it in....I did not take into account that stuffing the objects would make extra material around them....hummmmmm AND...AND... I had put the border on and had to take it off, the whole quilt was off balance because of the stuffing, drew the fabric in...AWWWWWWWWWW... Well...I stippled it but in white because I didn't want black to be on the front. I added the border by just sewing the border onto the front and back at the same time....ummmm ummmm is the finished item. I added extra batting in the border to kinda give it some balance. Am I ever glad this project is over. It is by far one of my worst projects ever. I am giving it to Jase anyways because of Sue but I am not happy. Vance says I am tooo critical, hopefully, Betty will not be too critical and just except the gift for what it is ment to be...a gift from the heart and a reminder of her mother in law. SHEWEEEEEEEEE!!!!!